World Cup 2018 – Spain 1-1 Russia (3-4 pens) RESULT: Igor Akinfeev makes two saves in penalty shoot-out as host nation make the quarter-finals
- Hosts nation Russia have beaten Spain 4-3 on penalties to make last eight
- Spain were gifted an early goal thanks to Sergei Ignashevich own goal
- Dzyuba converted a penalty to draw Russia level after Gerard Pique handball
- Russia clung on with tired legs throughout 30 minutes of extra time
- Igor Akinfeev then saved from Koke and Iago Aspas in the penalty shoot-out
Hosts Russia were unfancied when the tournament began but flew through as runners-up in Group A, while one win and two draws was enough for Spain to win Group B ahead of Portugal.
The winner of this tie will face either Croatia or Denmark in the last eight, with those two coming together on Sunday evening in Nizhny Novgorod.
Join Sportsmail’s ADAM SHERGOLD for all the latest from Spain-Russia in Moscow, with kick-off set for 3pm UK time.