Wales 4-0 Moldova, World Cup 2018 qualifier RESULT: Gareth Bale at the double for Chris Coleman’ side
- Sam Vokes opened the scoring in Cardiff following Gareth Bale cross
- Joe Allen doubled the lead shortly before half-time with his first Wales goal
- Gareth Bale added third after half time before converting late penalty
- Wales played their first game since reaching the Euro 2016 semi-finals
- Group D rivals Republic of Ireland drew 2-2 in Serbia
- In Group G, Spain thrashed Liechtenstein 8-0 and Italy won 3-1 in Israel
- Albania 1-1 Macedonia: Called off after 77 minutes duo torrential weather
- Click here for the full match report from the Cardiff City Stadium
After the Lord Mayor’s show of Euro 2016, Wales provided an emphatic performance to indicate more good times on the big stage lie ahead.
Concerns about a comedown against awkward opponents were unfounded, instead came evidence that the hunger for more remains.
It is not supposed to be like this for Wales, historically undermined by unexpected slip-ups and excessively hard work. But this was as easy as qualifiers come, a 4-0 win to get their task of reaching the World Cup in Russia off to the prefect start.
Follow Sportsmail’s coverage of the World Cup qualifiers as Wales take on Moldova in one of nine matches taking place across Europe.
Chris Coleman’s side will hope to take the form that took them to the Euro 2016 semi-finals into a new campaign as they attempt to reach their first World Cup finals since 1958.
Elsewhere Group D rivals Republic of Ireland begin their campaign in Serbia while over in Group G, Spain host Liechtenstein and Italy travel to Israel.