Portugal 3-1 Switzerland, RESULT: Cristiano Ronaldo hat-trick fires hosts to Nations League final late on in Porto following VAR penalty drama
- Cristiano Ronaldo opened scoring in the 25th minute with a 25-yard free-kick
- Ricardo Rodriguez equalised with penalty following controversial VAR review
- Portugal awarded a penalty, only for play to be brought back for Swiss spot-kick
- Ronaldo scored twice in final two minutes to grab his hat-trick
- Portugal starting XI: Rui Patricio, Nelson Semedo, Pepe (Fonte), Ruben Dias, Guerreiro, Carvalho, Neves, Fernandes (Moutinho), Silva, Felix, Ronaldo
- Switzerland starting XI: Sommer, Rodriguez, Akanji, Schar, Mbabu, Zuber (Steffen), Zakaria (Fernandes), Xhaka, Freuler (Drmic), Shaqiri, Seferovic
- Portugal and Switzerland will host the first semi-final in the Nations League
- Winner will face either England or Holland in Sunday’s final in Porto
- READ: The full Nations League match report from the Estadio do Dragao
Cristiano Ronaldo scored a hat-trick to fire Portugal into the Nations League final at the expense of Switzerland.
The Juventus star broke the deadlock with a free-kick that wrong-footed Yann Sommer and flew past him with plenty of swerve on the ball.
The inaugural edition of the Nations League resumes this week and opens with the semi-final between host nation Portugal and Switzerland.
Cristiano Ronaldo will be hoping to guide the European champions towards Sunday’s final as they take on the tournament’s surprise package in Porto.
With the winner set to face England or Holland in the final at the same venue, follow all the action as it happens from the 7.45pm BST kick-off.