Over 6,000 Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) members wrote to their local MPs, who have also urged the Premier League for transparency
Last Updated: 08/08/20 11:23am
Prime Minister Boris Johnson has backed calls for the Premier League to make a statement on the failed takeover of Newcastle.
Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), PCP Capital Partners and Reuben Brothers pulled out of a protracted £300m takeover at the end of last month. The PIF criticised the “prolonged process” for their decision to walk away and the Premier League have refused to comment on the matter.
Over 6,000 Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST) members wrote to their local MPs, who have also urged the Premier League for transparency.
The Independent Football Ombudsman, set up by the Football Association, the Premier League and the Football League to investigate complaints, said it had advised the Premier League to release a statement.
As of Saturday morning nearly 97,000 people had signed a petition that called on the prime minister and the UK government to establish “an independent investigation into the English Premier League takeover process”.
In an email to the NUST, the prime minister said there should be “clarity” on why there was such a delay in the decision making process.
“I appreciate that many…
Read More:Newcastle: Boris Johnson backs calls for Premier League statement on failed