Scott Minto has confirmed he has left Sky Sports, as the broadcaster continues to make sweeping changes across its football coverage.
It follows the sacking of Soccer Saturday trio Matt Le Tissier, Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson, which were revealed on Wednesday amid growing backlash against the decision, with some claiming it is because they are white men.
Scott Minto (right) is the latest former player to be made redundant by Sky Sports this summer
Taking to Twitter to announce the news himself, Minto wrote: ‘It is with a heavy heart that after 13 incredible years with Sky Sports I share the news that I will no longer be working with Sky and be part of their ongoing football coverage.
‘While the decision wasn’t mine, I leave Sky with nothing but fond memories of covering the EFL, Play-Off’s, Carabao Cup, Spanish Football, Revista De La Liga, and many more.
‘It has been a truly fantastic experience and a privilege to work with, and alongside, so many talented individuals.
‘I would like to wish the staff and teams at Sky all the very best for the forthcoming season – a season which is set to be truly spectacular both in the Premier League and EFL.
‘I am hugely excited by the future and will be sharing news soon of my next project. I look forward to being back on the screen soon.’
Minto had fronted Sky Sports’ EFL coverage, as well as presenting their LaLiga programmes
On Wednesday, it was revealed that Le Tissier, Thompson and Nicholas had been told about their own redundancies.
Presenter Jeff Stelling, who will continue on Soccer Saturday, along with Paul Merson, bemoaned the news, writing on Twitter: ‘One of my saddest days ever at Sky Sports with the departure of three of my best mates.
‘They have been part of a team that for me was the best.’
The likes of black ex-footballers Micah Richards, 32, Alex Scott, 35, Clinton Morrison, 41, and Sol Campbell, 45, have been suggested as their possible replacements.
But the changes faced huge criticism, prompting former Arsenal striker Wright, 56, to pull over his car and post a heartfelt video online people to stop their ‘racism’.
Wright said: ‘The racism is going through the roof today. Can somebody just answer me this: What does Micah Richards, Alex Scott, Sol Campbell, Clinton Morrison, or any other black pundit have to do with Sky’s decision to get rid of these guys?
‘All because three middle-aged white guys have got the sack. I kiss my teeth, say raasclaat and all that sort of stuff. What have they done, what have these guys done?
‘Because a black person or a woman might get the opportunity to do this job. They might get a chance to do this show. Why are people upset?’
The Soccer Saturday trio Matt Le Tissier, Phil Thompson and Charlie Nicholas have also lost their jobs