Newport County 2-0 Swansea City

Tristan Abrahams opens the scoring for Newport
Tristan Abrahams joined Newport after he was released by Norwich City

League Two side Newport pulled off one of the shocks of the round in the EFL Cup to dump Welsh rivals Swansea out thanks to a deserved 2-0 win.

A double from forward Tristan Abrahams in the first half meant the Swans become the latest side to be upset in a cup competition by the Exiles.

Newport were good value for the victory and were always a match for Steve Cooper’s Championship side.

The visitors had more chances after the interval, but Newport held firm.

The Swans become the latest side to visit Newport and come unstuck against a County side who continue to punch above their weight in the domestic cups.

The Exiles had previously beaten Walsall, Leeds, Leicester, Middlesbrough and held Tottenham to a draw in the FA Cup in the past three seasons, as well as scaring Manchester City and they were clearly relishing the visit of Steve Cooper’s side.

This contest, perhaps more than any other in the EFL Cup, was sorely missing supporters, with little doubt that the visit of Swansea would have led to a sold out Rodney Parade for the first senior meeting between the sides since a 2006 FA Cup tie.

It was the Swans who were victorious on that day as their superiority showed against a then non-league side, but it was Newport who started the stronger in this one as they scored with their first opportunity.

The visitors were culpable as they failed to clear Abrahams’ initial effort and did not pick the striker up as Ryan Haynes headed the ball back across goal, allowing Abrahams to find the net from close range.

The goal failed to spark much of a response from Swansea and Newport were close to doubling their advantage when Haynes cut inside and drilled at goal, but Freddie Woodman tipped the ball behind.

The Swans were caught napping at the corner, but did manage to block Abrahams’ goal-bound effort, while in the Newport goal Nick Townsend was a virtual spectator.

His first touch of note came on 43 minutes when he caught an Andre Ayew cross and from the long ball up field, Newport scored their second when Woodman charged out of his goal without success, allowing Abrahams to advance and tap into the empty net.

Swansea did improve after the break and Townsend saved from Wayne Routledge’s drive, the first effort on goal from last season’s beaten play-off semi finalists.

However, Newport did not settle for a two-goal advantage and pushed for a third with debutant Scott Twine firing just wide from 25-yards with Woodman scrambling.

Routledge thought he had pulled a goal back midway through the second half, but he was adjudged to be offside in an extremely close-call and Matt Grimes also came close with a 20-yard shot that grazed the upright.

Substitute Joel Asoro also came close with a shot that just missed the target, but the Exiles held firm.

Newport County manager Michael Flynn told BBC Sport Wales:

“I thought we were excellent, the boys were really good and we got what we deserved.

“They were all…

Read More:Newport County 2-0 Swansea City