‘I did not break it… it’s a lie’: Cristiano Ronaldo insists he did NOT violate coronavirus protocols after being accused of flouting rules by Italy’s sports minister after testing positive
- Cristiano Ronaldo tested positive for coronavirus while on duty with Portugal
- Ronaldo flew back from Portugal to Italy after taking a private air ambulance
- Italy’s sports minister believes Ronaldo may have broken coronavirus protocols
- However, the five-time Ballon d’Or winner hit back at those claims on Instagram
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner tested positive for coronavirus while on international duty with Portugal, before leaving camp on Wednesday and taking a private air ambulance to his house in Italy.
But when asked whether Ronaldo had breached Covid-19 rules, Spadafora told Rai Radio: ‘Yes, I think so, if there were no specific authorisations from the health authority.’
Cristiano Ronaldo is self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus on duty with Portugal
Ronaldo posted a picture on Instagram of himself lounging around by his swimming pool
However, Ronaldo has since quashed that claim after taking to Instagram Live, claiming he complied with all necessary procedures.
The 35-year-old said on Instagram: ‘I’m always at home, now I’m sunbathing, also to let the days pass. I’m respecting the protocol, I did not break it, as has been said: It’s a lie.
‘I returned from Portugal because my team and I made sure to comply with all the procedures.
‘I returned to Italy by air ambulance and I have had no contact with anyone, even in Turin.’
Ronaldo also added: ‘My family is on another floor of the house, we can’t be in contact.’
Juventus had already defended Ronaldo after he returned to Italy, saying that his flight was authorised by the health authorities.
Vincenzo Spadafora said Ronaldo may have broken coronavirus rules after his positive test
Ronaldo touched down in Italy after travelling back from Portugal by air ambulance
‘Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Italy with a medical flight authorised by the competent health authorities at the request of the player and will continue his isolation at his home,’ Juventus said in a statement.
Earlier on Friday, the former Real Madrid star posted a picture on Instagram of him lounging by his swimming pool, alongside the caption: ‘Don’t let what you can’t do get in the way of what you can do.’
Due to Ronaldo having to self-isolate, he won’t be able to feature for Juventus against Crotone in Serie A and will also be absent for the Champions League clash against Dynamo Kiev.
The presence of Ronaldo for the blockbuster Champions League match on October 28 against Barcelona and…