Cristiano Ronaldo under investigation for breaking coronavirus rules


Cristiano Ronaldo under investigation for breaking coronavirus rules with Italy’s sports minister saying Juventus star ‘did not respect’ protocols with his flight home from Portugal duty while infected – and ‘no one is exempt’

  • Cristiano Ronaldo under investigation for breaching Covid rules for flying home
  • Juventus star took a private air ambulance from Portugal to his house in Italy
  • He had already tested positive for coronavirus while on international duty 
  • Vincenzo Spadafora said star ‘did not respect’ protocols with his flight home
  • Ronaldo claimed he complied with all necessary procedures earlier this month

Cristiano Ronaldo is under investigation for breaking coronavirus rules when he flew home from Portugal to Italy after testing positive for the illness.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner tested positive for Covid-19 while on international duty with Portugal earlier this month and took a private air ambulance to his house in Italy.  

When asked whether Ronaldo had breached Covid-19 rules, Italy’s sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora told Rai Radio: ‘Yes, I think so, if there were no specific authorisations from the health authority.’ 

Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo is under investigation for breaking Italy's coronavirus rules

Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo is under investigation for breaking Italy’s coronavirus rules

Vincenzo Spadafora said Ronaldo 'did not respect' protocols with flight home while infected

Vincenzo Spadafora said Ronaldo ‘did not respect’ protocols with flight home while infected

Ronaldo touched down in Italy after travelling back from Portugal by air ambulance

Ronaldo touched down in Italy after travelling back from Portugal by air ambulance

And now Spadafora has said the Juventus star ‘did not respect’ protocols with his flight home while infected – and ‘no one is exempt’.

‘Cristiano did not respect the protocol. There is an investigation by the Federal Prosecutor’s Office to prove it,’ he told Rai Tre

‘The virus has taught us that no one is exempt, obviously they are all people who have tried to respect the protocols as much as possible, but the only solution in the end is to stay at home.’

Ronaldo had dismissed Spadafora’s claim, claiming he complied with all necessary procedures.

The 35-year-old said on Instagram on October 16: ‘I’m always at home, now I’m sunbathing, also to let the days pass. I’m respecting the protocol, I did not break it, as has been said: It’s a lie.

‘I returned from Portugal because my team and I made sure to comply with all the procedures. 

The Portugal captain has been exercising at home to keep fitness levels up in self-isolation

The Portugal captain has been exercising at home to keep fitness levels up in self-isolation

‘I returned to Italy by air ambulance and I have had no contact with anyone, even in Turin.’

Ronaldo also added: ‘My family is on another floor of the house, we can’t be in contact.’

His club Juventus had already defended Ronaldo after he returned to Italy, saying that his flight was authorised by the health authorities. 

‘Cristiano Ronaldo returned to Italy with a medical flight authorised by the competent health authorities at the request of the player and will continue his…



Read More:Cristiano Ronaldo under investigation for breaking coronavirus rules