NOSTALGIA: A look back at City’s record-breaking runs over the years

CITY boss Stuart McCall made a big point of it in his pre-match press conference, and his players heeded their warning, netting the first goal at Valley Parade on Tuesday night against Southend after just five minutes through Callum Cooke.

It was City’s eighth home game of the season, but the first time they had scored the first goal there.

That got us thinking, with no Bantams nostalgia game to satisfy our readers today, what could we do in its place?

So here is our selection of wonderful and woeful runs in City’s history.


Probably City’s greatest season in the last 20 years. They were promoted from League Two via the play-offs, but gained national recognition for their extraordinary run to the League Cup final.

After beating Notts County, Watford and Burton in the first three rounds, they came up against domestic cup specialists Wigan in the fourth round.

The Latics were relegated from the Premier League that season, but they also won the FA Cup, so would have had no worries about coming up against fourth-tier opposition at the DW Stadium in this one.

But a heroic performance by Matt Duke in the City goal saw the game finish 0-0 and go to penalties.

Duke saved from Jordi Gomez and Shaun Maloney blazed over the bar as City won the shootout 4-2.

Arsenal came to Valley Parade for the quarter-finals, with Arsene Wenger and his side desperate to end their long trophy drought.

But Garry Thompson’s early volley looked to have bundled the Gunners out, before Thomas Vermaelen rescued them with a late equaliser.

That one also went to penalties, and Vermaelen went from hero to villain, as his spot-kick struck the post to give City a stunning 3-2 shootout win.

Aston Villa were up next in the semi-finals, and goals from Nahki Wells, Rory McArdle and a teenage Carl McHugh wrapped up a famous 3-1 win at Valley Parade.

City’s winning run was ended in the return leg, but even that didn’t matter, with James Hanson’s goal in a 2-1 defeat ensuring City went through 4-3 on aggregate.

Sadly a fifth game in a row against Premier League opposition really was a step too far, with Michael Laudrup’s Swansea side crushing the brave Bantams 5-0 in the final at Wembley.


Remarkably, it was only 20 years ago that City were playing European football, as they took part in the 2000 Intertoto Cup.

In July, they thumped Lithuanian outfit Atlantas 7-2 on aggregate in the second round, before coasting to a 3-0 aggregate win over Dutch side RKC Waalwijk later that month.

It was an altogether tougher test in the semi-final against Russian titans Zenit St Petersburg.

But after only losing 1-0 in the first leg away from home, City would have felt they had a fighting chance of going through.

But three late goals from Zenit at Valley Parade…

Read More:NOSTALGIA: A look back at City’s record-breaking runs over the years